Joe Callahan, Consulting Engineer
20+ years international experience as an engineer in energy systems design, licensing/permitting and construction management. Mr. Callahan has developed a specialty in the unique aspects of renewable energy development including experience in:
Site control Issues: Buffer restrictions, Riparian, Tree clearing restrictions, Solar Shade impact and Facility
- Zoning, easement and setback analysis
- Adverse Effects Analysis: Disruptions to airports and other facilities affected by PV
- Gaining Access to legal property polylines and identify Initial usable area based on proposed or arranged site control with property owner.
- Identify adjacent properties that could benefit or provide obstacles for development.
- Property easements etc. that will limit development of PV
- Access / Land use exclusions
- Deeds and ownership issues
- Local weather that may affect performance i.e. morning fog from a river or coastline. Conditions not reflected in NREL or TMY1 weather data.
- Deed, Local Utility Right of Ways or other ROW’s, easements, etc. Gas, chemical, electrical, water, sewage, etc.
- Wetlands analysis (NWI and any historical Delineations) and mapping layers (ArcGIS)
- FEMA Flood Zone and mapping layers
- Hydric Soils Map and general soils map
- Slope analysis using AutoCAD Civil 3D and the best public surface data available
- Drone geospatial data collection quotes for site
- CAD Grading analysis
- Substation and Transmission / Distribution
- Interconnection EE on Interconnection application and scoping meeting with Utility and eventually provide data needed for Feasibility Study and
- BESS (Battery Energy Storage System) firm on optimal storage system design as per needs from Utility and economic modeling.
Work Experience at Lead Engineering position:
- Caden Energy Corp.
- Microgrid Labs LLC
- Saral Urja Nepal Pvt. Ltd.
- energisimple LLC
- energiLAB LLC
- Simple Solar LLC – Solar Electric EPC Boulder, CO :Founder /Owner / CEO